Friday, November 12, 2010

Open House prep

 
Painting the floor

   Pete has been working on getting the floor ready (last minute of course) but it really seems to make the space pop! I am excited for those who have been to the gallery before to see how much a simple thing like painting a diamond pattern can make.  

  With less then two weeks before my open house things are busy. I have experimented with some new glazes and shapes that can be tricky. The yarn bowls I have been working on continue to warp at every firing. I have finally decided to "warp" them myself in the opposite direction while wet, hoping that in the end they will come out even. We'll see....

  I had a get together the other night with my good friend Kathleen who will once again be by my side at my open house to help with things and keep everything running smoothly. I have learned help is definitely needed when pulling something like this off!
17th century pipkin (cook pot)

   I figure there will be room for 4 more bisque firings and  about 6 glaze firings. Just enough time to squeeze it all in. I am excited for my 2nd open house in the new gallery and getting more comfortable with organizing such an event.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel, I'm a friend of Amy's who is also passionate about pottery. Amy told me of your new studio - it looks fabulous in the pictures. I throw at home but I fire my pieces at WCC as I don't own a kiln. Your work looks great. If i am ever out that way, I would love to visit your shop - do you ever have hours that your studio is open to the public?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty Sorry to be so long in responding! I am planning on an open house this year. I will post the date on my blog as soon as the postcards are official. Thanks for your interest!

    ReplyDelete